Thursday, May 27, 2010


Constructivist and Constructionist Learning Theories

When students are able to test out learning theories and put their learning into practice they are more likely to obtain a better understanding of the subject matter. The Constructionist Theory supports project based lessons where students are able to construct an artifact that will assist them in the lesson. "When students generate and test hypotheses, they are engaging in complex mental processes, applying content knowledge like facts and vocabulary, an enhancing their overall understanding of the content," (Pitler, Hubbell, Juhn, & Malenoski, 2007, pg. 202). Students learn best when they are investigating on the subject matter on their own and are able to problem solve.

One suggestion that I believe correlates well with the Constructionist Learning Theory is the use of spreadsheets and using programs such as Microsoft Excel in the classroom. I love the idea that Mrs. Omar implemented in her 5th grade classroom, as mentioned in the course book, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, which allowed students to understand savings, investments and interest rates (pg. 204). The lesson she implemented using Excel allowed students to investigate, test, and strategize what investments make the most sense when given 10,000. This is a great skill for students to practice in the 5th grade because it is something that they will need to know for the rest of their lives. I can remember in my high school Drivers Ed. class learning how to keep a check book. We practiced "paying" for items we would need when driving. Before that class I never had been exposed to writing checks and I still remember how to write a check because of that class (and I have written many!)

Furthermore, I like the lesson that Dave McDivitt used in his high school history class where students played a strategy games on the computer to help with their understanding of World War II (pg. 213). It is activities like the one that Dave McDivitt implemented in which children will remember. When students are provided with the resources and are then put to a task and asked to figure something out, it is then that the learning process begins.

The Constructionist Theory definitely has a role in today's classroom. There are many technological tools that can be used that allow students to create artifacts in which they can better understand the information taught to them.

Resources

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007).Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. Here are two great examples of lessons that use technology and Constructionist Theories on learning. I am a big fan of Excel and the capabilities of the spreadsheet. It is wonderful to see elementary kids having a chance to work with such a powerful application. This year, I had many high school students that had never worked with Excel and a few had virtually no keyboarding skills. How can a student make it to high school today and not have basic computer skills? I feel high school students need to be proficient in certain areas of technology and if necessary, remediation needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that I have made use of many constructionist lessons throughout the years. I guess that I never really cared about the terminology. I have always utilized Power point in my reading and language arts classes to create book reports. The students really enjoy creating their video projects and showing them to the class. This learning theory is definitely vital in the classroom of the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology is another tool that we use to help kids learn the objective we are attempting to teach the students. How we use it will determine how the students learn. It also helps students to learn to keep the goal in mind when beginning any project, much like the Covey phrase.."begin with the end in mind."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coach Bish,

    I feel that every year my students are becoming more and more tech savvy. I know that my school district has put a major emphasis on teaching technology and it is a vital part of our curriculum. Students are now starting from day one in Kindergarten and I am surprised to see how much they already know. I feel that the high school level with see a big change with how much the kids already know with more of an emphasis on elementary schools.

    ReplyDelete

Dingle, Ireland

Dingle, Ireland
My Favorite Place