Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cognitivism in Practice

Everyone learns differently and uses different types of strategies to help them understand new concepts. In the book, Theoretical Foundations, the authors suggests that, "Learning is a complex activity that can be explained differently depending on one's perspective on how and why people do what they do," (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008, pg. 10). As a special education teacher I find myself integrating cognitive learning theories often into my lessons. My students respond well to lessons that allow them to integrate multiple sensory approaches to their learning.

One technological program that I like to use in the classroom that promotes cognitive thinking is Kidspiration and Inspiration. Both of these programs can be used during instruction as well as a note taking and graphic organizer tool for students. In my fifth grade social studies class I recently had students create a concept web using Kidspiration that dealt with the Civil War. They were able to use words and pictures to describe certain vocabulary words such as tariff, sectionalism, and state's rights. One aspect of these programs that is really helpful is that when you click on a picture or clipart it says the word aloud for the students. This is especially helpful for my special education students who may need this extra guidance when browsing through clipart. This program also has an option where you can narrow the search for clipart to limit the number of choices for students. "The technology, in turn, provides you with editable visual aids and multimedia resources that appeal to a number of learning styles," (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, Malenoski, 2007, pg. 79).

Furthermore, there are many technological programs available for students to take notes during classroom instruction. I particularly like the combination notes that allows students to use key words, pictures, and sentences when describing a topic. "A format that has a strong impact is combination notes, which employ outlining, webbing, and pictographs in addition to words," (pg. 124). I often find myself being a more visual learner and when I look back at my own notes I tend to understand the information more when I provided a visual representation.

I recently attended a Web 2.0 Workshop in my school district. One program that I was introduced to that is a great for note taking is the etherpad. The etherpad is a public pad that allows different people on different computers to all contribute to the same note pad at the same time. Each person writing on the pad is assigned a different color that allows the learners to distinguish the difference between the writers. We used this tool at the workshop and were able to print the notes at the end of the workshop for everyone to keep. The notes can also be stored and saved on the computer. This tool allows students to work collaboratively with one another and allows learners to organize information that is essential for their learning.

Technology and cognitive thinking are linked together in many ways. Lessons can be created that allow students to use a multi-sensory approach to learning.

References:

Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Teaching and learning with technology (3rd ed. pp. 2–35). Boston: Pearson.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.



8 comments:

  1. I am excited about the web 2.0 tool. I am a math teacher and getting students to take notes, let alone enjoy taking notes is a challenge. Many problems in math can be solved multiple ways. If students could give their input and save it in a collabrative manner, than more students can benifit from the knowledge of their peers. It is especially helpful when there are absent students who need notes. I would be able to just print it out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you are using technology in exciting ways. I do like the concept mapping programs and have tried them with my students as well. They love being able to collaborate with each other on assignments. The graphics also help to spark student interest. The etherpad sounds like a great tool as well. I think that I will check into that one. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've come a long way! I had several teachers as a child that didn't like for students to think in any way different from how they saw the material. I had a difficult time with these teachers. For instance, I could solve math problems quickly, but I was still marked wrong if I didn't follow the only acceptable format for solving them. This did not help me make connections to new material, or even enjoy school. Now, we use everything available to motivate, instruct, and make connections for students. We reach out to them with multimedia to stimulate the needs of all learners; using concept maps is just great tool to reach more students and build connections. Multisensory learning facilitates the processing of new knowledge and enables those connections to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I love about using technology is that it makes adding pictures, graphics, sounds, and other sensory items so much easier. The more visuals and audios we use as teachers means we are reaching more of our learners. The etherpad that you described sounds like a great tool. I will have to look into that. In addition to note taking, I could also see it as a great way for students to get out questions that they might have during a lesson without interupting or forgetting what their question was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone!

    Here is a link to the blog of the instructor from my Web 2.0 workshop.
    http://edunology.com/blog/

    His name is Douglas Walker and is the Instructional Technology Supervisor at the Jefferson Public Schools in New Jersey.

    If you look at the column on the left hand side of the blog you will find helpful links to many Web 2.0 tools and descriptions on how to use it.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that students can achieve a better understanding of a topic when they can use as many sensory modes as possible. The idea of concept mapping using technology is fabulous since it provides opportunities to use technology, build 21st century skills, and create connections that build understanding of the topic. The ether pad sounds similar to a wiki and is a great collaboration tool when students need to work on a group project. I could see students doing research, adding their information to the wiki, or ether pad, and then collaborating to decide what information is essential for the goals of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ehterpad sounds like a great tool to use in the classroom! I teach each of the seven classes of third graders SS. This would be a great software for each class to discuss a topic with each other since they would all have different colored text. I will have to look into this a little more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Concept mapping is super to use in your classroom, as all you have to do is put a concept in the middle, and draw a few spokes. Leave these empty and have the kids help to fill the spokes up in relation to the topic. The natural tendency is for us to fill in the void.

    ReplyDelete

Dingle, Ireland

Dingle, Ireland
My Favorite Place