Saturday, January 30, 2010

21st Century Skills





After reading the article, “Learning for the 21st Century,” and viewing their website, I feel that they are taking big steps into making education real. They promote learning core curriculum standards using different medias that students need to learn how to use in order to be successful in today’s society. “In a digital world, students need to learn to use the tools that are essential to everyday life and workplace productivity,"(2004).


The website provided videos of classrooms that have adapted the idea of using real world applications in the classroom that correlate with the curriculum standards and 21st century content. I observed a classroom that implemented longer projects for students to get the feel of what it is really like to be an engineer. The engineering component was broken down so that the students could understand the concepts and conduct experiments based on what they have learned. I especially like how the students were receiving the fundamental knowledge that they needed and then actually investigated, made predictions, and tried out their ideas to see if it would really work, just like an engineer would do. I was surprised to see that the videos that I watched based on classroom experiences were made by the George Lucas Foundation that supports teaching communication skills to students in new ways. (click on link below to see the video)


One area of concern is the economic crisis we seem to be in. While I agree that schools need to make radical changes in the way we prepare students for the 21st century, not having the funds to move further make it harder to make these advances. I know that in the school district I work in a lot of changes are going to take place in the next year. With the lack of state funding we are going to have to cut back on certain aspects in our school environment and instead of embracing the tools we need for the 21st century, I feel that they will most likely be placed on the back burner. The article states that, “While states and school districts now face a challenging economic environment, the need for 21st century skills is not going away,"(2004).


As a contemporary educator my wish is for schools to embrace this technological change and change the structure in which teachers are trained. I want more workshops on how to prepare my classroom for the 21st century. I want more hands on classes that the district should provide to show me new tools that I should be implementing in my classroom. I want to do more project based learning activities that use core content across the curriculum to explore real like implications in which the students will one day be involved in.


Here is a video clip that I viewed through the website: http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/

It can be found on the website: http://www.edutopia.org/engineering-success

It deals with students using real-life implications and allows the students to use critical thinking skills to solve real world issues.

Engineering Success: Students Build Understanding | Edutopia


References:

Partnership for 21st Century Skills. A report and mile guide for 21st century skills
http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/

2 comments:

  1. I am also a supporter for teaching 21st Century Skills and would love to see more technology used in the classroom. You did state a valid point where we need to adapt to newer technologies to teach to our students, but on the other hand budget cuts (which teachers these days are all so familiar with) have taken over our advantage to get the right euipment that is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan-

    Do you think the videos are more powerful for students or for teachers? Do you think the quality of the video is important or do you think teachers and students are capable of creating their own instructional videos?

    ReplyDelete

Dingle, Ireland

Dingle, Ireland
My Favorite Place